Friday, 15 June 2012

The Rain It Raineth Every Day

It's part two of my holiday!


This kept us amused all week - along with the boy who shouted "DON'T SEE MY PENIS!!"

Tuesday was the proper start of the dreadful weather. It was pissing it down, raining cats and dogs, you name it, the weather was doing it. We had a trip to Osborne House, home of Queen Victoria. You may have noticed in previous posts what a big fan I am of snooping round manor houses.

But not, however, trudging slowly round a dark and gloomy interior in a queue, such was the amount of people in the house. It was all pretty boring really until we got to some later rooms and particular the amazing corridor of Indian and some African portraits
I can't find any good enough photos of them. They led the way to the Durbar Room a masterpiece in plaster (I think, certainly not ivory as some twat said as he let his grubby offspring rub it's sticky fingers on the priceless walls)

To be honest, it was so wet outside and packed inside that after a visit to the royal children's playhouse (a life size Swiss cottage) we ran off into Newport for food. And for me to buy some waterproof shoes and clothes! I was thoroughly soaked and utterly miserable. I just wanted to go home at that point.
I did just find out that the lovely Wendy from The Butterfly Balcony was also there at the same time... as well as being at the village fete the day before!

I grabbed some wellies from a cheapy shop, a leopard print sweatshirt and this patriotic ring from Next of all places
We were later rescued and taken to the yacht club for dinner!

The next day Mike and I went to "Butterfly and Fountain World" which we enjoyed very much...

I saw this on the way there.... very very odd

This is the dress I mentioned in the previous post. Only £4.50 from a charity shop. The place was fantastic, we explored the Italian room, the Japanese Garden and the Mini World...
scary

The jumping jets

We had a meal at the yacht club again then did some dancing to a local rock'n'roll covers band. Then it was back to the wet a windy tent
Thursday was awful, the rain kept waking me up throughout the night and when we did surface at midday it was sideways again. Sadly Thursday was mainly a write off until about 5pm when the sun appeared. We frollicked on the beach  - although no swimming as it was still freezing, then ordered a chinese takeaway to the boat.
We found this little guy which made me think of the lovely Coco Loco
apparently crabs can look worried
 The wind was apparently blowing up to 90mph round the corner from us and the noise in the tent kept waking us up all night - it sounded like someone crashing into the tent every hour during the night.

Friday was glorious again, well it was in the afternoon. In the morning Mike and I headed to a nearby farm for a fry up and a nose at the animals (we love any trips where we can coo at animals)




 Later on we went back to Ryde to do some more shopping. We all loved the huge 3 storey secondhand bookshop
I picked up these postcards and photos there


I finally got to go to the vintage clothes shop "Masqueryde" - I spent quite a bit there..
Vintage mint and gold Eastex coat with leopard print stole £15 and £6
1950s petticoat  £8
 Fake fur stole £15
1950s teenage girls hat £20. I looked up this label and found this great video showing the moustachioed milliner and his range of hats for young ladies.

It may've been small but it was certainly satisfactory - the Donald McGill museum was tiny but packed to the rafters with saucy postcards, information and fun bits and bobs. We got to learn all about that Great British institution - the naughty postcard!


I was pleased to have only made it to the policeman!

We had the Yacht club dinner and dance which we had to dress up for

Chronic Bitchface Alert!
We were having fun promise..

There was lovely food and speeches... some went on too long...


The next day we packed up and loaded up the boat. However the wind was still very strong and Mike, Rob, Caroline and I decided to get the ferry back over... a 1960s tube train took us to the end of the pier to catch it
 

The ferry was very breezy but also very quick...




 We passed under the Spinnaker town and landed back in Portsmouth (which is a shit-hole - Melanie will confirm)
 Although Portsmouth did send me a message...


Sorry for such a long post!! We packed so much in, despite the odd tension regarding my desire to go home on a couple of occasions. I'm now a big fan of the Isle of Wight!

Must go to bed now as tomorrow I have to get up early to catch a train to meet someone....

22 comments:

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So much heaven in this post I don't kow where to start.

LLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL at the sign - brilliant.

Your thrifts are amazing and I want every single one.

Love all the dresses featured.

x

Georgia Rose said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh wowwwww, the little 1950s hat is heavenly! I love the label too. I love hats of that style because normal ones don't often fit on my ginormous head. Love your finds and all your photos!

Bijou Sugar-Socks said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i love your long posts but i was sooo distracted by that bun! (dear old lady with a maroon bun!) hahaha gorgeous ceiling in Osborne House! i love your face in the hole (naughty postcard scene) totally perfect! your dresses fit you so well too :) SMILE!xx

SACRAMENTO said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I lived 10 years in England, and I know of its bad weather, but you also have glorious things we come over for every summer.
I adore both of your dresses. The flowery ones is like a porcelain tea cup patter, ahhhhhhhhh, and the pink one like an English rose, just like you.
Love, love the post so much.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Louise said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Don't apologise for the long post, I love to read about people's holidays. What a shame about the weather, but it looks like you still managed to have fun. You look gorgeous in that pink dress, and I would love to visit that postcard museum, I love those postcards. Have a great weekend.
Xx

thorne garnet said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

why I hate camping. The shopping and tourist things looked like fun. "Hotel" is a good word on vacation

edie pop said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you for the long post, I really enjoy it,all the things you wrote and photographed make me live a little of your amazing holyday, I laughed, cried and opened my umbrella with you! I like Osborne House, the butterflies and your roses print dress,the pets and your stunning vintage bargains (the video is adorable!)and you look amazing in that long pink dress!!
Kissesxxxx

La Dama said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I enjoyed all your delightful holiday photos.
I love that We still carry on when there is pesky rain.
The white floral dress looks so pretty on you.
great finds!, love , want the hat and the 50's petticoat.
You styled the hell out of the pink dress biatch face and all.
Besotes

LUCEWOMAN said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Despite the rain, you had a really action-packed holiday. Plenty of shopping, some culture, a chance to get dressed up for dinner (you look lovely in hot-pink) and sightseeing. Great coat and stole, I'm a sucker for a bit of Eastex.
I like to have a couple of tantrums on holiday, whatever the weather. I think it's a combination of relaxing, change of routine, spending too much time with the same people and just being a drama queen.
Looks like you have some very fond memories to look back on, and some great finds.
I like all your dresses, but the navy floral one's my favourite.

Vix said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your holiday looked so much fun. I'd have loved the Indian portraits in Osborne House and the grand durbur with it's icing sugar ceiling.
Your buys are amazing especially that cute straw hat, you'll be the talk of Vintage in that confection!! Love you in that pink dress and I didn't see a hint of a chronic bitch face for the whole of yesterday.
Kudos to Mike for paddling, that water looked seriously icy!!
The pets are just adorable! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Estilo Hedónico said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Amazing pics!!!!

http://estilohedonico.blogspot.pt/

xoxo

Bella Q said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

How fun! Ok not the rain. But you make it look fun. Love the butterflies, the itty bitty crab, and pretty much all your critter pics. And that last image is great. Somebody turn it into a motivational poster, stat! Glad you had a good mini-vacation- and you look good in fuschia pink!

two squirrels said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh you look like you had the most fabulous time sweet!!!!! I just love the photo of you with the butterfly, you look so pretty.
The little hat is just so so cute.
Love v

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ha, you were MADE to be a buxom postcard lady, what fun. I've been to that Butterfly world place, in fact probably every child-friendly activity in IOW, but I will add the postcard place for my next visit. Love all your vintage goodies, I'm after a 50s crinoline/petticoat so quite jealous of that in particular.
x

mrsmarsa said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

always love to hear your stories and see you esapades Clare! Will try to upload some of mine soon! Going down Glastonbury on Wednesday.

Comtesse de ferveur said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great post, would love to visit Isle of Wight. Totally agree about Portsmouth too, what's its deal?!

Misfits Vintage said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I swear I commented here days ago - bloody rotten blogger is conspiring to keep us apart and I won't have it, I tell you!!!

What a perfectly splendidly rotten fabulous holiday! I love both of your lovely floral frocks and of course the MAGNIFICENT hot pink maxi! You are PERFECTION as the buxom lady and that hat could not be cuter. The butterfly pics are gorgeous - and the little piggies are super cute! I would absolutely love to come on hold with you - I bet you could have fun anywhere, any time, just like the Goodies!

Sarah xxx

Marisa Noelle said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So much fabulousness in this post, where could I possibly start?! Really loving your dress collection - a girl can never have enough, right? Looks like you've added plenty of more vintage beauties to your collection as well - that little hat is darling!

Both the butterfly world and the farm look delightful - but what is the deal with that person's bun thing?! Very odd indeed!

Strong wind like that actually scares me...ha! Despite the weather, this looks like such a fun an eventful trip:) xx

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh it's perfectly natural to feel like you want to go home when it's pissing down and you're cold and knackered. I say a bit of moaning is obligatory!
However, you still managed to have a fabulous time. I love your floral frocks, the butterfly house pics are gorgeous, the McGill pic and the weighing scales made me chuckle, I said "ahhhhh" to the piglets, and "oooh" to the vintage treasures (especially the petticoat) and "phooaarrr!" to you in the hot pink frock! xxx

Pull Your Socks Up! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I think a trip like this just makes you appreciate the good things about home. You got some amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing buys at the vintage shop, I'm drooling here!! So odd that it was bucketing down interspersed with sunny days to tease you. I felt so sorry for you on those freezing nights. God I love your bitch-face look in the pink frock, I just want to scream and squeeze you! Thank you for sharing these amazing pics hon! xxxxxxx

Mimi and Tilly said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your holiday sounds fab. There was a storm that lasted for the entire two days I went camping years ago. Everyone's tent blew away and when Steve and I woke up in the morning it felt like a horror film as everyone had gone home and all that was left was tattered and broken falling down tents. Spooky. I decided to have a hissy fit as the water had got inside my wellies and as I ranted at Steve "I can take any kind of sh*t fella, as long as MY FEET ARE DRY!" Love your blog, and very glad to have found you. Em ♥

Kezzie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I have serious hat envy! You found some really nice items! Plus, that gorgeous white dress you are wearing with wild flowers on- where is it from? It's so so so pretty! Love your pink dress too, your head dress is amaazing too!