Sunday, 2 September 2012

Pink Cottage, Blue Ice Cream


I must go down to the sea again, 
The lonely sea and sky
I left my shoes and socks there - 
I wonder if they're dry?

Spike Milligan

Obviously when I go on holiday I like my accommodation to match my hair

Here's the lovely little cottage we stayed in near Axminster in Devon. We arrived last Sunday, got stuck into a large takeaway and woke up on Monday to terrible weather. Being a bank holiday and us not being able to drive there was no transport, so we couldn't leave the village. So we lazed around until dinner time when we walked 5 minutes down the road to pub and ate ourselves into a food coma.
Food comas were the recurring theme of the holiday.

Here's the interior, it's a retro dream, hardly changed since the 60s, but would unfortunately be total hell to any dust mite allergy sufferers or those who like immaculate interiors, it's a little mildewy in there
gorgeous blue kitchen, cute painted coat hangers, there was more than one gorgeous but dusty feather eiderdown, the fire dance - a classic print
I wasn't allowed to steal anything...

On Tuesday the sun shone brightly and we headed to Lyme Regis
excuse the dirty nail but that's actually fudge I'm holding. Also that cow gives me the creeps

Lyme beach, seaside curios/tat, local decor
 The second hand bookshop in Lyme Regis was hilarious. It was run by a gay couple of undisclosed mid-European origins. They were graciously but determinedly unhelpful if you needed anything - I asked if they had anymore Victorian scraps, the reply was "ach! I have thousands, but it means sorting through them, you'll have to come back another time".  As we left they were about to start a lunch of red wine and bread to a soundtrack of Maria Callas singing Casta Diva, despite the queue of customers. 
 Bubblegum and blackcurrant ice creams from Rinky Tinks on the seafront
errrr

Wednesday was a bit dodgy again so we headed into Axminster  - home to the famous organic/foraged/home cooked/middle class cuisine of scruffy hearthrob nerd chef  Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and his River Cottage Canteen. We ate in the American themed diner/living room "Route 66". Firstly, we explored the amazing and huge antiques centre - very reasonable priced, followed by a charity shop trawl.

trying on hats at Chapel Antiques, Satan and Lenin as bosom buddies and Route 66 - well recommended

I bought - tonnes of postcards, german card game (old maid), 80s badges, print of Queen Alexandra, worried dog was free, polka dot dress, needs fixing all from Axminster and other ephemera from bookshop in Lyme Regis

This mirror which I'm guessing is Mexican was £7!

On Thursday we headed to Axe Valley Bird and Animal Park where we touched up chickens and cooed and gawped at everything


On Friday we went over to Honiton, which wasn't so exciting, hence no photos, though we did have another fantastic lunch. We ate non stop all week. I polished off a bottle of Lyme Bay Port and Elderflower Liqueur by myself - go find Lyme Bay stuff near you, it's fantastic! 
I also had a lot of long hot baths, we brought our ipods and a dock, so I drank booze and sung loudly whilst wallowing.

We also ordered bread from the local shop, every amenity was much easier to get to than in my own village and generally more pleasant. I read The Sun a lot which was bad for my brain, my body later punished me by making my arm hurt so much I couldn't hold the newspaper. Could also've been the 40 year old mattresses we were sleeping on.
Saturday was nicer weather again so we went to Seaton, a run down but pleasant seaside town
the Seaton carnival was on, we saw a bit of the dog show

paddling, beach huts, lunch, stupid sign,

Mike bending, more beach huts

Have you ever seen the film Monsieur Hulot's Holiday? You really should if you haven't - I was a pretentious child and liked nothing better than a B&W 50s comedy. Well Seaton and Lyme Regis had the same vibe, with less sand.

We discovered the pebble beach was agony on our feet, so rushed to buy some wet suit slipper things. Despite not bringing my swimming costume I really fancied a dip....
But first I bought another blue ice cream

Then we braved the waters. We didn't have a change of clothes
We went home happy but with damp bums.

There ends the holiday. Back to work tomorrow and lots of blog reading to catch up on too!! 

Can't wait to start stalking ya'll again.





30 comments:

Misfits Vintage said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Holy awesomeness - that is the best accommodation I have ever seen - I would have been in HEAVEN!!! That little village is so gorgeous and quaint, I love it all - promise you'll take me there when I come over!? The book shop sounds marvellous - and you look absolutely GORGEOUS! LOVE! Sarah xxx

Helga! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

How bloody fabularsehole!!!
HUGH!!! EEEEK! I would have hunted him out for a quick snog.I see he has cut his hair,not nearly as charming,but I still luv him!
Everything sounds and looks peachy!A perfect English seaside break! Is it lyme Regis they they go to in Persuasion?? I think it is!
So many lovely colours,and lovely icecream.........swoony.....o,and that Mexican mirror rocks!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a lovely holiday. LOOK AT THE CHICKENS! I am so in love with chicks. :)

orchid said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wow!!! What an awesome holiday you had(*^_^*) I enjoyed all the pictures you prepared for us!!! You look lovely♡♡♡
I really AM so sorry that I didn't have time to send the complete answers!!! I have been worrying about it. There wasn't enough time for me. Could you successfully sending it; I hope so and really praying the GOOG LUCK for you, my friend in England.
Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

two squirrels said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh my goodness so much wonderful holidays things!!!! The place you stayed is amazing!!!!! I love all the colours and treasures.
Then all the yummy ice cream wow!!!! Oh I saw a wee squirrel in the pics too!!!!! You are looking so relaxed and happy sweet!!!, yay!!!
Love v

Lisa G said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love all these photos, the weather looks super - you were luckier than when you went to the IOW!! And you went in the sea!!

So jealous.

Perhaps we need to re-visit Eastbourne one day??

L xx

Mim said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love Lyme Regis - it looks like you had great weather. Did you do any fossil hunting while you were there?

Worried Dog has a most excellent face.

Louise Mc said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wo spent our summer hoiday last year in Lyme Regis. It's lovely, I do remember that bookshop, and the fabulous quirky little antique centre on the seafront. X

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I have severe kitchen envy, I love that blue! I do not though, like that cow/bull thing, it's creeeeepy!
I have always wanted to go to Lyme Regis, well since I saw 'Persuasion' in fact, I think part of my brain thinks I'll run into Captain Wentworth.
How much does that tin hat suit Mike!
Emu bird! And chickens! I love emus! Andy calls them Melanie Birds :)

edie pop said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This post was so intertaining that I'm sure that I've been in Lyme Regis with you now!I love to read all your adventures and the photos are beautiful!Blue icecream, Satan and a pink house? This is what every holyday should be about! Great finds! The mexican mirror is amazing!I like all the badges and the cards and OMG I always wanted a peacock and some chicks in my backyard, too cute...thank for posting them!
Love

Liz said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks like you had a wonderful time! Great photographs.
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What, you mean you didn't camp? Well, I don't blame you. We've just come back from a rainy and midgey camping week in Scotland - but we're hard core campers doncha know! Well done you for not stealing anything from that house - it looks divine. Love all your pics. I really must go back to Lyme Regis, haven't been for years. Crikey, you swam in the sea. In England in the so-called summer? You brave thing you. Love the Mexican mirror. xx

Miss Magpie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Glad to see you had such a great time, ice cream and bargains galore! I'm off next week and I CAN'T WAIT!!!

thorne garnet said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yeah, that mirror is Mexican, I hope you bought it. Looks like you guys had loads of fun

Vintage Coconut said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

OHHH this looks like such a fun little vacation!
What could be better than Icecream and the Sea??
I like your swimming picture. =D
I would have went to the amusement place, I love those sort of places and get lost in them for hours. I would happily put up with mildew to sleep in a little place like that.

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It looks great, Clare! Cottages to match your hair, kitchens to match the sky, the fudge and the ice cream, charity shopping, swimming in your clothes, pebbles, peacocks - what's not to love?
Glad you had a good time. Did you come over all French Lieutenant's Woman in Lyme Regis? I can just imagine you emoting a la Meryl Streep! xxxx

Bijou Sugar-Socks said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

ooohhhhh love that pic of you in the water wearing that red stripey skirt :) ssooo fly! love the cute baby chicks wanna squeeze them hehehe looks like u had a good time :D big smiles!

Lucy Nation said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is my kind of holiday. In fact, I've just had one virtually identical to it! Food comas, lots of thrifting and bubblegum icecream!! Although I never went in the sea. You and I have the same taste in ice cream I think, anything blue/unusually coloured and fruity, none of this vanilla and chocolate malarkey, how dull. The cottage looks amazing. What a find. This country is full of tired seaside towns. They do have a unique charm. Loved this post xxxxx

Prediksi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hali im silivia..i like your blog

Julie liverpoolmrs said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Claire,

You said 'matresses' - does that mean this wasn't a naughty week away??!! Looks like you had fun but Claire - DONT BUY THE SUN!!!!! Justice for the 96!

Vix said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I read this last night and was too amazed by the total fabulousness of it all to comment! You know I love that cottage and am well impressed that you managed to resist the temptation not to "borrow" just one of the amazing things in it!
You make me want to go on a seaside holiday (but only if you came with me). You look absolutely gorgeous adn I'm glad to see Mike's still rocking his festival shirt! xxx
PS Can't wait till Saturday!

CityScape Skybaby said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your seaside cottage was lovely Claire and I love how much fun you always seem to have, jumping in the sea with your clothes on and meeting eccentric east Europeans. One of my favourite things in the world is seaside towns and all that goes with them and your photos just look like the perfect seaside holiday. That cow is creepy though, something very Wickerman about it. xx

SACRAMENTO said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wonderful to see your photos, and enjoy your holydays with you.
Wonderful, gorgeous Claire.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Lynn Dylan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks like a lovely vacation! The vintage-y cabin is very cute! Love it. And I really loved seeing the beaches and all the things you found. One of my very favorite things about vacationing somewhere is going into thrift and swap shops to see what local treasures I can find!

xoxo
Lynn

karensomethingorother said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Clare, what a fun, fun, fun, fun holiday! I loved all the pictures and the kitsch, and the tidbits and details--and that you ended it swimming in what you had on! Good for you! I really like the picture of you with the blue ice cream demurely reading.

audrey said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you for adding me! I absolutely love your blog! So much color! Your holiday looks like so much fun and I'm jealous of all the awesome kitschy vintage stuff that you got. I actually went to Lyme Regis a couple of years ago and had a lot of fun tiptoeing on the slippery rocks and trying to find fossils before the tide came in.

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You find the greatest things and have an eye for the wackiest, wonderfullest stuff, like the Lenin and Satan pairing, and the farmer and the cow (!?). Always a treat to visit you. And I love your phrase "food coma." I agree, that ice cream cow is freaky. We don't have beach huts here which is a lapse in our cultural intelligence. Looks like a very fun trip. Thanks for sharing...

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Brilliant, I love your holidays posts! Even though this has two of the most disturbing photos involving cows ever. Did you find the 'aquarium' in Lyme Regis? It's basically a shed with a butler's sink full of lobsters.

Joni said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a perfect looking vacation! Down to each and every photo. I love elderflower liquor too but haven't heard of that one. It's yummy mixed with gin, lemon juice and basil. Slurp! Oh, and a little sugar/water.

What a great ending photo of you in that refreshing water. You should frame it!

Marisa Noelle said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Charming, charming, charming! You look have you have the most brilliant little holidays around. Pink cottage and blue ice-cream ... yes please! Mildew or not, that place looks like a dream. Looks like summer is still in full force for you - which is wonderful. Everyone here is so geared for fall now. How I long for days by the ocean and carnivals and ice cream cones! That photo of you on the beach with the cone is darling! xo Marisa